Top tips for a good nights sleep
Author: Marionne de Candia
There is no doubt lack of sleep shows on your face. According to research one in ten women feel so tired that it affects both their appearance and performance every day. Missing out on the recommended seven to nine hours of quality sleep each night also drains your mental ability, puts your health at real risk and in today’s electronic world makes it increasingly hard to switch off.
When we are asleep our body restores itself. During sleep our metabolic rate increases with an important beauty function being to replenish dead surface skin cells. Sleep also plays vital roles in our physical health, including healing and repairing the heart and blood vessels.
When we sleep the natural breakdown of proteins, the skin’s building blocks, slow down allowing it to repair the damage from the day’s UV rays and lifestyle habits. This is the time for your skin to replenish and gain maximum restorative benefits.
Top Sleep Tips for Skin Health.
- Aim for seven to eight hours sleep at night, this is a universal guide for the amount of sleep required by the average adult.
- Make every effort to get into a routine, your body will get used to it and like it.
- Cleanse your face and apply a cosmeceutical serum, oil and moisturiser to work overnight. They will support and enhance the repair that is already happening in your skin.
- Don’t eat a large meal late at night.
- Drink plenty of water during the day but not late at night or just before you go to bed.
- Sleep in clean cotton or linen sheets, under a warm blanket in a cool dark quiet room.
- Take out all electronics from your bedroom and do not check emails or your phone prior to going to sleep.
- Sleep on your back which will help prevent sleep lines, particularly as you get older.
- Prepare your mind and body for sleep. Take a warm bath to relax and avoid stimulants at least two hours before bedtime, including nicotine, alcohol and caffeine.
- Learn to meditate. Meditation is the best way to alleviate insomnia for anyone who wants a natural approach to sleep. Meditation will bring your mind to rest and calm you, so you are not thinking about the stress of the day.
- Try not to worry about it if you have difficulty falling asleep, this will only make it worse. Have peaceful thoughts or use this time to practice meditation.